Thursday 30 July 2009

Creativity and Happiness

I've mentioned before about how I think exercise is part of the bedrock to happiness, at least in my life. Another one I confirmed recently is social experience; being involved in some sort of community of people where interactions are personal and based on an often deep history of the group's dynamics. And I believe that a healthy diet is a third supporting pillar of a contented life.

The fourth area that needs some attention, it seems to me, would be creative output.

This might be in the traditional senses of art, writing, music. It may be photography, woodwork or some form of spiritual dance. Or maybe it's computer programming, scientific research or deriving mathematical theories. But it's something that gets your brain cycling through ideas and scenarios, creating new neural connections and really working out.

I look at the really contented and happy people in my life and they all seem to have some aspect of creativity going on in their hobbies or jobs.

And for those of you who are wondering, I do believe that creativity can be learned if it's practised often and enough. But you don't need to be "good" to get anything out of it, you just need to get your mind in the right gear.


Questions? Comments? Opinions? I'd love to hear them! Please leave all of your lovely feedback in the comments section below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment